Marble consists chiefly of calcite or dolomite, or a combination of these carbonate minerals. Marbles are basically metamorphosed limestone. It has similar characteristics to limestone and is typically used on the same applications. However, marbles are almost always more aesthetically valuable and available in much wider ranges of colors.
Marble has long been highly valued for its beauty, strength, and resistance to fire and erosion. It is a rock widely used in buildings, monuments, and sculptures. Large blocks of colored marble are used for columns, floors, and other parts of buildings. It is suitable for wall-cladding, roofing, flooring and all other interior and exterior applications.
Granite contains three main minerals – quartz, alkali feldspar, and plagioclase feldspar. These minerals make granite white, pink, or light grey. Granite also contains small amounts of dark brown, dark-green, or black minerals, such as hornblende and biotite mica.
Granite is one of the oldest, most durable and most respected of building materials. It is typically the hardest of the dimensional stones and withstands the elements very well. It is best for kitchen countertops because it is scratch, stain and heat resistant. It is also suitable for flooring or paving, wall cladding and all other types of countertops. Granite is suitable for either exterior or interior applications.
Travertine is limestone that has been formed over a long period of time. The product is porous with many visible holes. It is available in colors ranging from ivory to golden brown. The holes and cavities may be filled with matching Portland cement, colored epoxy, or polyester resins or left unfilled for a more rustic appearance.
It is normally used for flooring, wall cladding, vanity tops, fireplace surrounds and furniture.
Natural Stone tiles and pavers can be used in many different areas for interior areas such as kitchen, bathroom, foyer, walls , tv backsplashes, fire places and as for exterior areas such as patio, gazebo, pool, walkways, outdoor kitchens, fire pits, decks, cabanas, bars, and water features.
It not only gives a luxurious design and look to your house but also adds a considerable amount of value. Most homeowners prefer natural stone over glass, ceramic, vinyl and porcelain due to its high quality look and durability.
There is couple of other reasons why natural stone is used for exterior usage.
– Natural Stone pavers such as marble and travertine have more natural appearance than manufactured paving, ensuring that the customer gets the desired look.
– Value of the property increases significantly with a patio that is paved with natural stone unlike concrete.
– Installation time for natural stone pavers is usually much less than for concrete because the stones are cut to a specific thickness and size. As a result, installation cost is generally lower than concrete.
– Natural stone adds a random natural beauty that brick pavers don’t. Most natural stone materials are among the hardest ones in the world for any application. It should be considered first when looking for a permanent fixture.
– Travertine, adds an earthy beauty with a Greco-Roman atmosphere as well as Tuscan to a landscape project.
– It is a great alternative to bluestone due to its texture. Travertine and marble are from sandstone family; therefore they reflect sun and do not hold in the heat unlike bluestone.
**Uniform colors are not available in natural stone as they are the products of millions of years of development which makes it beautiful. Natural stone pavers can be used in such areas like poolsides, paths, patios , driveways, decks, walls, walkways…etc. Residences as well as commercial areas or projects benefit a lot when natural pavers are used for exterior applications. If you are a homeowner, a landscape architect, or a commercial contractor, the initial cost of natural stone pavers adds significant value in the long term due to their long lasting durability. Most natural stone pavers are designed to be permanent fixtures; they naturally need to be taken care of from time to time to retain their original look.
**The best way to take care of stone pavers is similar to that of doing the same as stone tiles. The first essential step is to seal the stone. Alkaline cleaners should be the only ones to consider when cleaning natural stone pavers. Once you bought the appropriate cleaner for the type of stone you have, simply follow the instructions on the package for application.